Newark Colored School Second School for African Americans in Newark, located on Cleveland Avenue
The school was built by the Freedman’s Bureau in 1867 with material from disassembled army barracks. After the New London Avenue School was built, this school became a community center for African Americans, where movies were shown, dances were held, and holiday gatherings took place.
The first school for African American children in Newark opened during the Civil War and was located at the corner of Corbit Street & New London Avenue. John Congo started the school in his home.